Conor Friedersdorf of the Atlantic has written a very insightful response to the Newsweek article authored by Andrew Sullivan defending the President against his critics on the left and the right.
You can read Friedersdorf’s entire article here, and I suggest that you do, as it provides numerous examples of why we as citizens, especially progressives, have legitimate reason to not support a President who ran on a progress platform promising to change Washington and has thus far failed on the most important issues facing the country.
Within the article are 14 actions that Obama has taken as President that either betray the trust of the American people, unnecessarily expand the federal government’s power, double down on the previous administration’s disastrous policies or outright violate the constitution. They are as follows:
(1) Codify indefinite detention into law
(2) draw up a secret kill list of people, including American citizens, to assassinate without due process
(3) proceed with warrantless spying on American citizens
(4) prosecute Bush-era whistleblowers for violating state secrets
(5) reinterpret the War Powers Resolution such that entering a war of choice without a Congressional declaration is permissible
(6) enter and prosecute such a war
(7) institutionalize naked scanners and intrusive full body pat-downs in major American airports
(8) oversee a planned expansion of TSA so that its agents are already beginning to patrol American highways, train stations, and bus depots
(9) wage an undeclared drone war on numerous Muslim countries that delegates to the CIA the final call about some strikes that put civilians in jeopardy
(10) invoke the state-secrets privilege to dismiss lawsuits brought by civil-liberties organizations on dubious technicalities rather than litigating them on the merits
(11) preside over federal raids on medical marijuana dispensaries
(12) attempt to negotiate an extension of American troops in Iraq beyond 2011 (an effort that thankfully failed)
(13) reauthorize the Patriot Act
(14) and select an economic team mostly made up of former and future financial executives from Wall Street firms that played major roles in the financial crisis.
How can anyone objectively look at Obama’s policies thus far and come to the conclusion that he is somehow the lesser of two evils?