Former Senator Says Classified Documents Contradict FBI on Post-9/11 Probe of Saudis

Former Florida Senator and co-chair of Congress’s Joint Inquiry into the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Sen. Bob Graham, says he has seen two classified FBI documents that contradict the bureau’s public statement that there was no connection between the hijackers and Saudis living in Sarasota, Fla, at the time. 

“There are significant inconsistencies between the public statements of the FBI in September and what I read in the classified documents,” Graham said.

“One document adds to the evidence that the investigation was not the robust inquiry claimed by the FBI,” he added. “An important investigative lead was not pursued and unsubstantiated statements were accepted as truth.”

One unanswered question surrounding the 9/11 attacks is whether the hijackers had support within the U.S. The final 28 pages of Congress’s bipartisan inquiry released in July 2003 regarding possible foreign support for the terrorists, were censored in it’s entirety, on President George W. Bush’s instructions.

Graham said the two classified FBI documents that he saw, dated 2002 and 2003, were prepared by an agent who participated in the Sarasota investigation. He said the agent suggested that another federal agency be asked to join the investigation, but that the idea was “rejected.”

Graham attempted in recent weeks to contact the agent, he said, but the agent had been instructed by his superiors not to talk.

The FBI investigated Abdulaziz al-Hijji and his wife, Anoud a decade ago. They moved out of their home in the upscale, gated community of Prestancia, near Sarasota, and left the country weeks before 9/11. The couple left numerous personal belongings, such as furnishings, clothes, medicine, food and cars according to law enforcement records. After the 9/11 attacks, a concerned neighbor contacted the FBI. 

Prestancia gatehouse visitor logs and photographs of license tags show that several of the 9/11 hijackers visited the al-Hijji home, according to a counterterrorism officer and former Prestancia administrator Larry Berberich.

Al-Hijji, who now lives in London, recently called 9/11 “a crime against the USA and all humankind” and said he was “saddened and oppressed by these false allegations.” He also said it was “not true” that Mohamed Atta and other 9/11 hijackers visited him at his Sarasota home.

The FBI, after initially declining to comment, confirmed that it did investigate but found nothing sinister. Agents, however, have refused to answer reporters’ specific questions about its investigation or its findings about the Prestancia gate records.

The FBI reiterated its position in a Feb. 7 letter that denied a Freedom of Information Act request seeking records from its Sarasota probe. The denial said their release “could constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.”

“At no time during the course of its investigation of the attacks, known as the PENTTBOM investigation, did the FBI develop credible evidence that connected the address at 4224 Escondito Circle, Sarasota, Florida, to any of the 9/11 hijackers,” wrote records section chief David M. Hardy.

According to newly released Florida law enforcement documents an informant told the FBI in 2004 that al-Hijji considered Osama bin Laden a “hero” and may have known some of the hijackers. The informant, Wissam Hammoud, also said al-Hijji introduced him to Adnan El Shukrijumah, an ex-Broward County resident and suspected al-Qaida operative.

Last September, FBI spokesmen also disputed Graham’s assertion that Congress was never told about the Sarasota investigation.

Graham asked the FBI for assistance in locating the Sarasota related files in National Archives that were allegedly turned over to Congress. He says there were two months in which the FBI was “either unwilling or unable” to help find the records, than the bureau turned over two documents to the Senate Intelligence Committee, which Graham once headed and where he still has access. It is those documents that Graham has said are inconsistent with the FBI denials.

Graham shared this development with the Obama White House, and a meeting between Graham and FBI Deputy Director Sean Joyce was arraigned.

In December, Graham said, the scheduled meeting was abruptly canceled and he was told he would be allowed no further access to FBI information about Sarasota.

Graham says the information emerging about Sarasota is ominously similar to discoveries his inquiry made in California. Leads there indicated that the first two hijackers to reach the U.S., Saudis Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, received help first from a diplomat at the Saudi consulate in Los Angeles and then from two other Saudis, one of whom helped al-Mihdhar and al-Hazmi find a place to live.

Multiple sources told investigators they believed both the latter Saudis had been Saudi government agents.

In late December, the U.S. announced a new $30 billion defense deal with the Saudis.

Graham said he was taken aback by that announcement.

“I think that in the period immediately after 9/11 the FBI was under instructions from the Bush White House not to discuss anything that could be embarrassing to the Saudis,” he said. “It is more inexplicable why the Obama administration has been reticent to pursue the question of Saudi involvement. For both administrations, there was and continues to be an obligation to inform the American people through truthful information.”

Advertisements

Attorney General Eric Holder: US Can Kill Citizens in Terror Groups with No Judicial Process

According to Attorney General Eric Holder it’s perfectly fine for the U.S. government to execute its own citizens, with no judicial process, overseas if they are accused of plotting terror attacks against America.

“In this hour of danger, we simply cannot afford to wait until deadly plans are carried out, and we will not,” he said in a speech at Northwestern University’s law school in Chicago.

Anwar al Awlaki, an American born Islamic cleric, and his sixteen year old son were killed in separate U.S. drone strikes in Yemen last September. Civil liberties groups condemned the attacks, while some members of Congress called for a explanation of how the killing of American civilians with no judicial process could be consistent with the U.S. Constitution.

The Fifth Amendment provides that no one can be “deprived of life” without due process of law.  But that due process, Holder said, doesn’t necessarily come from a court.

“Due process and judicial process are not one and the same, particularly when it comes to national security.  The Constitution guarantees due process, not judicial process,” the attorney general said.

Holder said a U.S. citizen can legally be targeted for assassination in a foreign country if that person is “a senior leader of Al-Qaida or associated forces,” and is actively involved in plans to kill Americans.

Any military operation targeting U.S. citizens overseas must be carried out under the law of war.

“The principle of humanity requires us to use weapons that will not inflict unnecessary suffering,” he said.

The ACLU called Holder’s explanation “a defense of the government’s chillingly broad claimed authority to conduct targeted killings of civilians, including American citizens, far from any battlefield without judicial review or public scrutiny.”

“Few things are as dangerous to American liberty as the proposition that the government should be able to kill citizens anywhere in the world on the basis of legal standards and evidence that are never submitted to a court, either before or after the fact,” said Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU’s National Security Project.

“Anyone willing to trust President Obama with the power to secretly declare an American citizen an enemy of the state and order his extrajudicial killing should ask whether they would be willing to trust the next president with that dangerous power,” she said.

The ACLU is suing the Obama administration, seeking to have documents regarding the targeted killing program made public.